Exfoliation plays such a large part in maintaining your tan, as this helps to remove all the dead, dry skin that will soon flake off and cause discoloration in your tan. Ensuring that you have fresh, smooth skin before UV bed tanning or spray tanning, will help extend the life of your tan as well as keep the color looking perfect.
Using an exfoliator to bring out your freshest skin, can be such an easy routine to get into. Using a sugar or salt scrub can be the best way to accomplish this – and making a DIY scrub is easy and affordable. You will want to use the scrub to help refresh skin 1-2 days before your tan. Make sure before you go to get your spray tan, you do not use lotion or moisturizer the day of, which these scrub could also leave a soft residue on your skin; this could counteract the spray tanning solution – so be sure to use this the day before! Using this before a UV bed tanning session is also not recommended for the day of, so try to use this 1-2 days before.
Here are a few easy DIY Exfoliation Scrubs that smell amazing, will help make your skin feel so soft, and extend the life of your tan:
Lemon Sugar Scrub
- 1 cup white sugar
- ¼+ cup coconut oil (substitutions can be Almond oil, Jojoba oil, Grapeseed oil)
- Lemon essential oil
- 8 oz. mason jar
- Measure out white sugar and place in a mixing bowl
- Measure out the coconut oil (or substitution). Begin with ¼ cup and add as you may like. Using coconut oil will help mix with the sugar more evenly, smells slightly sweet, and becomes solid at room temperature – helping it to stay more mixed. (Coconut oil is so great for moisturizing your skin)
- Add in essential oils (typically 15 drops, but you can opt for more or less)
- Put the mixture into the mason jar. When you use the sugar scrub, you will notice a huge difference in moisture. When rinsing hands, use cool water to help remove most residue.
Himalayan Pink Salt Coconut Oil Scrub
If you prefer using detoxifying sea salt over a sweet sugar, this one would be for you! Himalayan sea salt helps by:
- Detoxifying the body and balancing your pH (which can help your tan come out more evenly)
- Improves hydration, which will help your skin hold onto the tan longer
- 1 ½ cups Himalayan Pink Sea Salt
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 8 oz mason jar
- Measure out the sea salt in a mixing bowl.
- Add the coconut oil. Mix well until completely combined
- You can add essential oils if you prefer to have a different scent for your scrub.
Making these simple exfoliating scrubs can help your skin feel refreshed, bring new moisture to your skin, and extend the life of your tan 🙌🏼